(unstable) aptitude -- 'g' doesn't install packages

One one of my machines, aptitude is behaving strangely.

I hit 'g' and it takes me to the list of packages to be installed.  I
hit 'g' again and it downloads the packages (or just completes, if I
already have them all).  I choose "Continue" and ... I go back to the
main screen.  No attempt to install the packages.

If, on the other hand, I type 'aptitude install <package>' from the
command line, it works fine.

Can anyone shed any light on what's going on here?

aptitude version: 0.2.14.1-2
apt version: 0.5.24

--
monique