Re: cd and floppy disk use

On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 10:33:04AM -0400, Douglas Pollard wrote:
> Hello all,
>     I've installed Debian Woody 3.0r2 and I'm trying to import files on cd and floppy disk. I keep getting permission denied.
> How do I give myself as user permission to use these drives.
>
> Thanks Doug

ls -l /dev/hdc
ls -l /dev/fd0

this will list the ownership of /dev/hdc; /dev/fd0 (assuming hdc is
your cdrom, fd0 is your floppy). It should list something like

brw-rw----    1 root     cdrom     22,   0 2004-05-02 04:47 /dev/hdc
brw-rw----    1 root     floppy     2,   0 2004-05-02 04:47 /dev/fd0

In your system, make sure that you now belong to the groups cdrom and
floppy with the command adduser.

Then add the corresponding entries in /etc/fstab