Re: Re: Can't connect with my new ADSL

On Sat, May 01, 2004 at 07:54:26AM +0100, Mark Dixon wrote:
> I've just read your response re connecting the ADSL modem.
>
> When connecting computers on a home network using ethernet cards in
> the PC's should straight or crossover cables be used.

from one Ethernet card to another, use crossover cables. If you're
connecting them all to a hub or switch (those all-in-one ADSL routers
count, if you're using one of them), use straight-through cables.

If that covers it, don't bother to read the rest ...

One way to remember is that you've got receiver (RX) and transmitter
(TX) wires on each Ethernet card, and you need to arrange for each
computer's RX to connect to the others' TX and vice versa. A crossover
cable just wires RX to TX and TX to RX, which does the job directly
between two network cards. If you're using a hub or switch, it does the
RX/TX exchange for you between all pairs of ports, so you only need
straight-through cables to connect to it.

If your ADSL modem is one of the ones with a single Ethernet port rather
than USB or a full ADSL router device, beware that it probably has a
reversed Ethernet port, with RX and TX pre-crossed: to connect it to a
single computer, you only need a straight-through cable, not the
crossover you might expect. If you connect it to a separate hub instead,
you need to plug a straight-through cable from the ADSL modem into the
"uplink" port, which is prepared to get crossed RX/TX.

Hope that helps,