Re: Keeping X from restarting after killing it

S.Squarepants wrote:
On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 14:24:58 +0200
Markus Lindström <mlindstr@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

Hi there,

I think this thread is pretty self-explanatory. Actually, I want to install the binary nVidia drivers, and they require me to shut down
the X server. Unfortunately, when using the ctrl-alt-backspace
interrupt, X instantly respawns.

Open a terminal, su to root, then type
   init 1
do your business of installing and the like. When finished type
   init 5
to get back to graphical login, or
   init 3
to get to console-based login.

you can also kill xdm (or whatever you're using to manage X), using /etc/init.d/xdm stop (and later on start it using /etc/init.d/xdm start), replace xdm by the program you are actually using

	erik