kernels no longer loading sound & net modules

      I am using debian sarge, and have been experimenting with compiling and
installing kernels, specifically 2.6.3 and 2.4.25 kernels.
      For weeks, I had no real problems, other than what I had created myself,
(leaving out a module, for example).
      During this time I have regularly updated the system with apt-get
dist-upgrade.
     My 'main' kernel has been  a custom 2.6.3, which still loads emu10k1 &
8139too fine, but I can no longer access my digital camera as a normal user.
       Now, if I go to use the 'stock'  2.4.25-1-386 kernel, or ANY other
self-compiled kernel or stock kernel, suddenly my emu10k1 and 8139too modules
no longer load at boot. I can modprobe them OK when booted up, and get sound
and net working. And I can access the camera as a user.
       I have made sure, that all these have these 2 modules available.
This is too strange for me to understand, if you know what's going on, please
advise. :)
Thanks a lot.