Re: Keeping X from restarting after killing it

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 02:24:58PM +0200, Markus Lindström wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I think this thread is pretty self-explanatory. Actually, I want to
> install the binary nVidia drivers, and they require me to shut down the
> X server. Unfortunately, when using the ctrl-alt-backspace interrupt, X
> instantly respawns.
>
> Where is this configured? I looked through the /etc/initrc file, and
> didn't find anything relevant to X.

As others have pointed out, probably your /etc/init.d/[gxk]dm file.

"/etc/init.d/gdm stop" to stop gdm.

> Actually, I might as well ask if there's any way to configure two
> separate runlevels that are exactly identical, save the fact that one
> runs without X (à la Mandrakelinux).

Don't know if there is a better "Debian" way, but you can edit your
/etc/inittab to specify a default runlevel.  By default (IIRC) Debian
installs with runlevel 2 (default) and 3 executing the same.

You can for example, change runlevel 2 to not run your display manager
similar to this (man update-rc.d):

    update-rc.d gdm start 99 3 4 5 . stop 01 0 1 2 6 .

This will make your default runlevel (2) *not* start gdm.  If you
change your default runlevel to 3 then gdm *will* start and you can
"telinit 2" to change to runlevel 2.

I don't know for sure all the possible pitfalls with respect to Debian
upgrades.  Maybe someone more experienced/knowledgeable about Debian
policy can comment?

HTH

--
Chris Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
GNU/Linux --- The best things in life are free.