Re: /bin/sh: permission denied -- fstab error?

David Piniella wrote:

> I'm getting a ton of "/bin/sh:Permission Denied" errors on everything
> that /etc/init.d/rcS calls -- both on  bootup and shutdown. The errors
> are along the lines of
> /etc/init.d/rcS: /etc/rcS.D/S70xfree86-common: /bin/sh: bad interpreter:
> Permission Denied"

> my hda1 line in /etc/fstab is
> /dev/hda1   /           ext3         users,auto,errors=remount-ro   0
> 1
>
> should I change fstab?

>From the mount man page:

users  Allow every user to mount and unmount  the  file  system.
          This option implies the options noexec, nosuid, and nodev
          (unless overridden  by  subsequent  options,  as  in  the
          option line users,exec,dev,suid).

The automatic "noexec" is triggering the errors you see. Remove the "users"
option from /etc/fstab to eliminate the errors.

Adam