Re: after apt-get install

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 03:46:17PM -0500, Forrest Humphrey wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> First of all, I’m a complete newbie to Linux AND Debian GNU/Linux, so
> that’s why my question is dumb.  After I have installed a package with
> apt-get, for instance:  “apt-get install etherconf” How do I use the
> package?  Typing etherconf in the command line does nothing for me like
> I so sheepishly expected it to.
>
> Forrest Humphrey
>

> ---
Hi Forrest,
if you type:
less /var/lib/dpkg/info/etherconf.list
you will see the files that were installed with this packages (minus any
configuration files and other misc. bits). The name of the package is
usually the name of the program, so typeing 'etherconf' should work if
the program is meant to be run by a non-root user. Or to put it another
way, the program has to be in what is called your $PATH variable. doing
echo $PATH
will show you where the program must be for your command to work as
expected. But if, as I expect, it is a command that requires root
access, you need to become root by typing
su ( and then giving the root password) and then typing 'etherconf'.
Also you can use the 'whereis' command which shows you where a program
is. so type 'whereis etherconf' and then type the command with the FULL
path for it to work.
If you dont know what a path variable is, or a root user, or a non-root
user, or the whereis command is or what a full path is or a relative
path is: try using google, man, or ask here. preferably in that order.
-Kev