Re: Restoring /etc/inittab

--- Shaun Jackman <sdj@sfu.ca> wrote:

> I tried apt-file, but inittab is not in *any* package as far as I can
> tell. It's not in sysvinit.
>
> # dpkg -L sysvinit | grep inittab
> /usr/share/doc/sysvinit/examples/inittab

That is the file you can use as a template to cp to /etc !

> To answer your other question, I did something along the lines of...
>
> rm passwd~ *

Well that was stupid!

> uh, d'oh

Quite. :)

> I don't know exactly what happened, or when it happend. I was happily
> editing some config files when I noticed all the config files in /etc
> (but not subdirectories) had ... well ... gone away!

The reason that happend was because you had a space after the 'passwd~',
hence the shell globbed everything in /etc, and replaced it with all the
filenames contained therein.

What you should have done was:

rm *~

> I have -i aliased into cp, mv, and rm, so I don't know how it
> happened! If my system ever boots again, I'll be browsing through the
> .bash_history.

No need, I've just told you why. :) The lesson here is *don't* do anything
as root until you are sure.

-- Thomas Adam

=====
"TAG Editor"                 -- http://linuxgazette.net