Re: /bin/sh: permission denied -- fstab error?

 --- David Piniella <dpiniell@newssun.med.miami.edu> wrote:

> /etc/init.d/rcS: /etc/rcS.D/S70xfree86-common: /bin/sh: bad interpreter:
>
> Permission Denied"

This might be the result of a malformed magic line.

> when I boot into a gnoppix live CD and mount /dev/hda1 as /mnt/hda1 and
> chroot /mnt/hda1 and run /etc/init.d/rcS I still get the same errors,
> even though mount tells me that /dev/hda1 is mounted as rw. I thought
> that maybe /bin/sh could have become corrupted, so I copied over a new
> /bin/sh from the gnoppix CD onto /dev/hda1's /bin/ dir but still no
> luck.

'sh' should just be a symlink to /bin/bash. You're looking in the wrong
place with regards to filesystem perms. Try this at the LILO/GRUB prompt:

linux init-/bin/sh

do you get the same errors then?

-- Thomas Adam

=====