Re: Where can I find my debian kernel?

Akkermans wrote:

Hi everyone,

Can anybody tell me where I can find my debian kernel? I mean, can someone give me the path where I can find my kernel on my newly installed debian system? And if I can find it, is it possible to look into it using the VI editor?

Thanks in advance,

Paul Akkermans

As a general rule, the _compiled_ version of your kernel, which is not really going to be usably viewed with a text editor, can be found in /boot, and will be symlinked in /, like so:

westk[@westkent]:/home/westk:> ls -l /vmlinuz*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 2004-04-20 08:58 /vmlinuz -> boot/vmlinuz-2.6.5-1-686 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 2004-02-24 12:24 /vmlinuz.old -> boot/vmlinuz-2.6.3-1-686

You can download the sources, and use vi to look/edit those files, but to "apply" those edits you'd need to compile the changes into a new kernel and install the new kernel. That's a whole 'nother bag of fish.

--
Kent