boot cd not working

I decided to upgrade my kernel from 2.4.18 to 2.4.20 but since I have done
this I can not get my custom built cd's to load.  At current the kernel
works fine when I boot it from the hard drive.
First I use mkboot to make my boot disc then I custom the lilo.conf on the
floppy.

lba32
boot = /dev/fd0
install = boot.b
map = map
compact
prompt
timeout = 50
read-only
image = vmlinuz
label = linuxfl
root = /dev/cdrom
append="apm=on init=/linuxrc"
ramdisk=26624

then I
lilo -b /dev/fd0 -C /floppy/lilo.conf

I use the following to make a boot.img file

dd if=/dev/fd0 of=boot.img bs=10k count=144

I have mounted this file with loopback and it is a correct img file and I
also tested the boot disk before proceding to this step.

When my cd boots it does LI 8080808808080880 now per some research it is
looking for the secondary boot loader but it is looking for it on the actual
floppy instead of the emulated floppy on the cd because if I place the same
floppy (I used to make the boot.img file on the cd boots) in the floppy
drive the system stops doing 8080808080 and boots.  Why is the boat loader
trying to load the secondary boot loader from the actual floppy instead of
the emulated floppy and why would lilo change when all I did was recompile
new version of kernel.  I can still place cd with older kernel in and it
boots fine with no floppy assistance.  Please help.  Thanks Kris