fix for "initializing system services" hang

I just want to share this with everyone because it's been maddening for me to try to fix it.

On two separate fresh debian sarge installs, with kde 3.1, I've encountered this bug.

Upon logging in to kde, the splash screen would hang at "Initializing System Services" and then give me a blank screen. About 5 minutes later, the desktop would come up. Then, any time I wanted to load a kde app, like konqueror, it would take 5 minutes to launch.

After cleaning my tmp dir and removing my ~/.kde dir, as people told me on irc, I still had the problem.

I finally realized that the actual cause was that I was missing my lo stanza in my /etc/network/interfaces

adding this to /etc/network/interfaces:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

and rebooting, everything works perfectly.

I'm not sure what's a good place to document this, so I'm emailing both this user list and the kde documentation folks.

Thanks,

 michael