Re: Strange new behavior of expect

Kai Grossjohann <kgrossjo@eu.uu.net> writes:

> I have an Expect script which exhibits strange behavior.  The script
> logs me on to a remote host, then runs some commands, then invokes
> "interact".
>
> On my old laptop, running unstable, it worked well.  (Last updated
> sometime last week.)
>
> On my new laptop, also running unstable (last updated yesterday or
> so), it is NOT working so well :-(  Below you can find a short expect
> script exhibiting the problem:
>
> #!/usr/bin/expect -f
> spawn rlogin -x -F $argv
> interact
> # end of script
>
> In the shell I get after this, all commands are echoed, and all ctrl
> characters are also echoed: hitting Ctrl-B prints ^B on the screen,
> and so on.
>
> If I just type "rlogin -x -F my.host.name.here", then Ctrl-B moves
> left one character, instead of printing ^B on the screen.

It turns out this is a function of the kernel configuration, of all
things!  I installed another kernel (also 2.4.25, but a different
config), and now things are different.

With the other kernel config, the USB mouse wheel also started to
work again.

Very strange.  I wonder what might have been the problem.  There are
151 difference regions between the two kernel config files, so the
right difference is not easy to find...

Kai