modutils example

Hi,

I installed a 2.6.5 kernel the other day, to try out alonside the 2.4.20
version I've been using, & discovered the problem where some module
names have changed, some are needed for one kernel, but won't work with
the other, etc.  I saw a reference here to

  /usr/share/doc/modutils/examples/versioned

& it looks like exactly what I need.  I created a directory for each
kernel's `kernelversion` below /etc/modutils, copied the example to
/etc/modules & gave it the executable bit

kenneth@enlil:~$ ls -l /etc/modules
-rwxr--r--    1 root     root          896 Apr 25 10:57 /etc/modules
kenneth@enlil:~$ ls -l /etc/modutils
total 44
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Apr 25 10:59 2.4
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Apr 25 10:59 2.6

each kernelversion directory contains a single file 'modules' which is
exactly the same as what /etc/modules used to be

upon booting, however, I am getting 'module not found' errors for every
line in the example script.  It seems the kernel is trying to load each
line of the file as if it were a regular /etc/modules file rather than
executing it

Do you know where I went wrong?

Thanks,
Kenneth