Re: Upgrading from Exim 3 to 4

On Monday 26 April 2004 14:10, Col @ Home wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am considering upgrading from Exim 3 to 4. Will I be able to use the
> same alias files I currently use to direct mail? How different is the
> configuration?

/etc/aliases stays the same.

You can't directly re-use exim.conf from Exim 3, however.  You'll have
to "translate" it into Exim 4.  The overall file format is similar, but
some of the details differ.

The Debian exim4 package promotes using a zillion specialized little
files in /etc/exim4/conf.d which get concatenated, but you don't have
to do it that way (as I discovered after getting fed up and compiling
it myself to get around this).  If you create an /etc/exim4/exim4.conf
file, exim4 will use that instead.