Exim4 Config

I'd like to write my own configuration file for Exim, without using the
Debian way of editing template files or /etc/default/exim4.  It seems
even the file /etc/init.d/exim4 is set to regenerate the configuration
file however, I don't want my custom one overwritten.

How can I make my own configuration file and not have it overwritten by
files generated from /etc/exim4/exim4.conf.template?

Would it be best to write my own, simpler /etc/init.d/exim4?

Thanks,

David