Re: Files from XP

on Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 05:02:27PM +0200, btom@passagen.se (btom@passagen.se) wrote:
> Hi Debian,

> I have a laptop running debian and I would like to transfer files form
> a computer running win xp to the laptop. Both computers have network
> cards so I wonder if it is possible to connect them using a standard
> network cable and transfer the files. If so, how do I go about it?

You need a crossover cable (or crossover connector on a longer cable),
if you're not using a hub or switch.

Other means of file transfer:

  - PLIP (aka "laplink")

  - SLIP (though I don't believe WinXX supports this).

  - Wireless peer-to-peer network.

  - Media transfer:  USB pen drive, removeable hard drive, CDR/DVDR,
    floppy, etc.

I've had remarkably good luck with PLIP myself.  Though if you've got
the $30, I'd buy a cheap Netgear/Linksys hub, or borrow one.

Read the GNU/Linux Networking HOWTOs and/or Network Administrator's
Guide (aka the "NAG").

Peace.

    Kerry '04