Problem with apt-get

I appear to be having some trouble with apt-get.  First of all,
apt-spy won't run complete - it freezes at some point.  Then, when I
try to run apt-get update, I get the following error:

Reading Package Lists... 1%
Reading Package Lists... 16%
Reading Package Lists... 32%
Reading Package Lists... 49%
Reading Package Lists... 62%
Reading Package Lists... Error!
E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
E: Error occured while processing pike7.2-pexts-mcrypt (NewPackage)
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

I have no idea what "Dynamic MMap" is, nor why it's having trouble
with pike7.2.  Really, I have no idea why any of this is happening.
Does anyone have any ideas for fixing this?

|Brad Camroux              | === http://www.debian.org === |
|Geophysics & Applied Math | Proud admin and user of Debian|
|University of Calgary     | since 2003... because Red Hat |
|Calgary, AB, Canada       | just didn't cut it            |