Re: 'no screens found' -- how & why?

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 01:35:17PM -0300, Leandro Guimaraens Faria Corsetti Dutra wrote:
> Em Wed, 21 Apr 2004 11:10:34 -0400, Matt Price escreveu:
>
> > I've posted this on debian-powerpc but am feeling desperate -- apologies
> > for the cross-post.  I've just had something rather strange happen --
> > after functioning perfectly well on several bootups, suddenly 2.6.5
> > kernels are unable to run X.  I don't believe I did *anything* to the X
> > settings, and X still runs fine under 2.4.25.  A quick look at the XFree86
> > logs indicates the problem is with the framebuffer support.  Attempts to
> > set 'UseFBDev' to 'false' in XF86Config-4 result in complete failure in
> > both kernels ("R128(0): Cannot read V_BIOS (5)").
>
> 	Had something similar in 2.6.4, but I don't ever edit
> XF86Config directly, telling dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 not to
> use the framebuffer did the trick.

I think (though I may be wrong) that there wouldn't be much differnece
if I used dpkg-reconfigure (last time I tried, it wouldn't write back
to XFConfig-4 because the file had been edited by hand, so I may not
even be able to use that option anymore!).  May I ask whether you use
similar hardware?  I think that it's hard to go without the fb when
using powerpc hardware.  My experience suggests I need the fb to use
my video card at all.