Re: To dselect or aptitude, that is the question

On Tue, 2004-04-20 at 15:08, Florian Ernst wrote:
> Nowadays I solely use aptitude and apt-get source / build-dep (and
> occasionally a direct dpkg). The only thing I miss is dselect's
> feature to show me a dependency resolution screen directly after
> (de)selecting a package, but aptitude's other features more than
> compensate for this.
> Now if someone please ported aptitude to hurd so I can get rid of
> dselect there as well... ;)
> Still, I think it up to everyone to pick his tool, and if someone
> after some testing really prefers dselect, well, I won't stop him.

I prefer dselect for the one task that I use it for, and that's
dist-upgrades with the dependency resolution screen. The rest of the
time I use wajig. The only thing that I can't do that I wish I could
(And someone please fill me in if you know of a way) is remember which
packages got brought in for installation of package 'a'. So when I
remove package 'a' it'll remove it and all of the packages that were
brought in with it.

Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837