Re: UNIX/Linux text files

Adam Funk <a24061@yahoo.com> writes:

> On Tuesday 20 April 2004 16:50, John Hasler wrote:
>
>> Ciaran writes:
>>> The file command uses magic to figure it out. Is that any better?
>>
>> The point is that there are no "text files": just files that happen to
>> contain text.  This not true of all operating systems.
>
> You mean the traditional Mac system, with resource and data forks in
> each file?

Or VMS or MVS or CP/M or lot of other operating systems. If I still
remember correctly (it's been a while), on VMS you can specify if file is
text or record based and also the access to it (sequential, random etc).

Bye, Dragan

--
Dragan Cvetkovic,

To be or not to be is true. G. Boole      No it isn't.  L. E. J. Brouwer