Kernel update process?

Sorry to have to post to ask for help on this basic task, but I can't find a step-by-step kernel replacement procedure anywhere on the Debian site. I've digested the Dwarf's Guide also, without revelation. Maybe I'm not hunting properly?

We're running kernel 2.4.18-bf2.4 -- is there a more recent version? I've done a grep-available -P kernel|grep ^Package|sort, but the results don't show a more recent version than 2.4.18.

I'm familiar with "apt-get" -- can I use apt-get to update the kernel? If not, what's the proper procedure?

Thanks for any assistance,

Danny O'Brien