Re: UNIX/Linux text files

Karsten M. Self said:
> on Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 07:20:30PM +1000, Nathan Stanley
> (livefish@host.sk) wrote:
>> Someone recently told me there is a difference between Unix and Linux
>> text file formats. Is this true?
>
> Yes, ours goes to 11.
>
> Wait.  Wrong mockumentary.
>

> CR vs. CR+LF
>
>    # aptitude install sysutils
>    # man dos2unix unix2dos
>
> In practice, many tools on both platforms will deal sanely with either
> format.  Notable exception is NOTEPAD.EXE  on legacy MS Windows.

The question appears to be asking about differences in Unix text files and
Linux text files, not DOS/Windows text files and Unix/Linux text files.
There's no difference between a text file created on a Unix (e.g. Solaris)
platform and one created on a Linux platform, but as Karsten rightly says
there is a difference between those created on a Windows platform and
those created on a Unix/Linux platform. The difference boils down to new
line characters. Karsten probably answered the question you meant to ask,
not the question you did ask :)

Regards,
Ciaran.