Question on running multiple Linux distributions along with BSD and windows

Hi,

I have Windows XP and Debian running on my machine, with Lilo as boot
loader.

Planning to add FreeBSD and Gentoo.

1) Do I need to have a separate boot partition for each Linux version?

2) Is there a simple way to manage boot loader, where I could just add
partitions in the free space and update boot loader?

 I seem to mess up boot loader, when I add a new Linux install.  Is there a
solution to work across more than one hard drive. Plannin to add  an
additional hard drive where I do all the distro trials.

Thanks,
Sanjay