uw-imap and authentication problems after upgrade to sarge

I hope i'm not goofing on this one but after upgrading to sarge i got a
lot of packages with broken configs, squid and imap are two of them.

I'm using uw-imapd on sarge and where i previously got a perfectly
running system now i can't login to my imap server.

Here's what i get from syslog:
(did a clear;tail -f /var/log/syslog and attempeted to access the
server throught imap)

Apr 19 23:55:38 duffy imapd[16016]: imap service init from 127.0.0.1
Apr 19 23:55:38 duffy imapd[16016]: Logout user=??? host=duffy
[127.0.0.1]
Apr 19 23:55:44 duffy imapd[16017]: imap service init from 127.0.0.1
Apr 19 23:55:47 duffy imapd[16017]: Command stream end of file, while
reading line user=pete host=duffy [127.0.0.1]

Now i guess the problem has to do with autentication because my client
(thunderbird) complainted abou invalid login and on squirrelmail i get
"Unknown user or password incorrect.".

Here's my /etc/pam.d/imap :

#
# The PAM configuration file for the UW IMAPd `imap' service
#

# The standard Unix authentication modules, used with
# NIS (man nsswitch) as well as normal /etc/passwd and
# /etc/shadow entries.
@include common-auth
@include common-account
@include common-session

i got it stright from the new upgraded package, also tried to replace
this with my old config but no good.

Searched the ML and the BTS but i can't get anything that helps.
Any ideias on how can i trace what's going on ?

Thanks
Pete

=====
---