Re: Is SWEN back?

on Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 12:14:15PM -0400, Marc Shapiro (Shap64@hotmail.com) wrote:
> I hadn't seen any SWEN in months,

Until I finally caved and activated my ISP's virus blocking/stripping
solution (I'd rather just block the fsckers at SMTP time -- and *shock*,
my ISP appears to be doing this at least sometime now), I was seeing
perhaps 20-40 a day.  Well down from peak.  But not even hardly gone.

Mostly coming from highly rfc-ignorant domains / ASNs.

> so I slipped up and posted a few messages to the list using my regular
> account (instead of this HOTMAIL account set up only for posting to
> debian-user and receiving all of my SWEN).  Yesterday, I received what
> looked like a SWEN e-mail.  The subject was "Security Update".  The
> payload had already been stripped, so I don't know if the size matched
> SWEN, or not.  Has anyone else started receiving SWEN again (or has it
> been out there all along, and I have just been lucky)?

There are numerous malware engines which scan recent Usenet posts (d-u
is gatewayed to several groups) and will generate spam to people
posting.

While viruses don't _infect_ GNU/Linux systems, they do _affect_ them,
and appropriate AV filtering of mail can be useful.

Peace.

    Many hands make light work.