Re: HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted

On Monday 19 April 2004 12:11 am, Tim Beauregard wrote:
> Tim Beauregard wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Could someone please help me find the kernel config settings which I've
> > neglected, that prevent me from using DMA?  I expected inclusion of AMD
> > and nVidia IDE chipset support (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_AMD74XX=m) would be
> > sufficient.  I have tried enabling DMA only for disks
> > (CONFIG_IDEDMA_ONLYDISK).  I can enable DMA normally with the stock
> > 2.2.20-idepci kernel.  I'm using Debian Unstable.  I have tried setting
> > idebus=66 (100 didn't work), and acpi=off.
> >
> > Follows is a series of relevant logs and messages.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Tim
>
> [...]
>
> Still no joy.  I've installed numerous different kernels now, and can
> turn DMA on only with downloaded images of 2.2-2.6 series as
> well as one compiled 2.4 series.  There are ide-core, ide-detect,
> ide-disk and ide-generic modules installed on those images.  On my
> self-compiled 2.6.4 I have
>
> # ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support
> #
> CONFIG_IDE=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
>
> #
> # Please see Documentation/ide.txt for help/info on IDE drives
> #
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HD_IDE is not set
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
> # CONFIG_IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE is not set
> # CONFIG_IDEDISK_STROKE is not set
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD is not set
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDETAPE is not set
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEFLOPPY is not set
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI=y
> # CONFIG_IDE_TASK_IOCTL is not set
> # CONFIG_IDE_TASKFILE_IO is not set
>
> #
> # IDE chipset support/bugfixes
> #
> CONFIG_IDE_GENERIC=y
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD640 is not set
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPNP is not set
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
> CONFIG_IDEPCI_SHARE_IRQ=y
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_OFFBOARD is not set
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_GENERIC=m
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_OPTI621 is not set
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RZ1000=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_FORCED is not set
> CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
> # CONFIG_IDEDMA_ONLYDISK is not set
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ADMA=y
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_AEC62XX is not set
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ALI15X3 is not set
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_AMD74XX=m

> I've also tried passing ide0=dma to the kernel, however hdparm will not
> turn DMA on following this.  Can anyone suggest where I'm going wrong?
>
> Thanks, Tim

Hey Tim,
I'm in the same boat, except kernel-2.6.3-1.
hdparm returns this error:

root@debian:/home/mike# hdparm -d1 /dev/hdb

/dev/hdb:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 using_dma    =  0 (off)
root@debian:/home/mike#

I am stuck, I hope somebody has the answer...
Thanks