Re: Cisco Aironet 350 Wireless and Kernel 2.6.5

On Sun, Apr 18, 2004 at 10:38:37PM -0700, Marc Wilson wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 18, 2004 at 10:13:34PM -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
> > When I plug in a Cisco 350 card the power light on the card does not
> > come on.  Cardmgr does detects the card, though:
> >
> > But iwconfig then shows to interfaces, and I cannot bring either up:
> >
> > eth1      IEEE 802.11-DS  ESSID:"tsunami"++
> >
> > wifi0     IEEE 802.11-DS  ESSID:"tsunami"++
> >
> > Why two interfaces with same data?
>
> Because that's how Cisco does things.  Other cards do as well.

I'm not very clear how that works -- when I insert the card cardmgr
determines it's a network card from /etc/pcmcia/config.  What decides
what interface to use?  When I was using wlan-ng drivers for a prism2
card it was wlan0, and now I'm using the orinco_cs driver and the same
card now is eth1.  And the Aironet card is "wifi0" an also "eth1".

How's all that magic work?  Is it the act of loading the module that
determines the interface?  Then cardmgr passes that interface to the
/etc/pcmcia/network script.  How does cardmgr know the assigned
interface?

So, any idea how to debug this problem with the airnet card?  I just
booted into my old 2.4.21 kernel and the Aironet card works fine.

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org