Cupsys problems

Under testing I've just installed cupsys + gimp-print + BSD support via
apt-get. In a nutshell, a complete installation where I can see all the
packages with the cupsys prefix!

Under KDE 3.1 I've quickly installed my local  Epson Stylus Color local
printer which I've defined as the default printer . The printer turns out to
be active. But.....
Whenever I try to print the test page (or whatever else) I don't get anything,
no sign of life from my printer (which works, I'm sure about it).
The job reports invariably say that the job have been
"canceled-by-the-user"????
But I'm doing nothing at all.
What's going on?
Please help