Re: PCMCIA Networking -- who controls? (SOLVED)

Okay, I figured out my mistake. I stumbled across a reference that for hotplug cards you are NOT supposed to have the auto line in the stanza. Oops!

Jesse Hein wrote:

I succesfully installed wlan-ng and have the card working, kinda. When first put in, or at bootup, I get an error message about turning it on. If I type:
  ifdown wlan0
  ifup wlan0

It then comes back up okay. My guess is that something else is getting to the card first and trying to start it up unsuccesfully, then the network script is coming in and can't do it because the first one messed it up.

I have the following to /etc/network/interfaces (Xed out the sercutiy stuff)
   auto wlan0
   iface wlan0 inet dhcp
      gateway 192.168.1.1
      wireless mode managed
      wireless_essid XXXXX
      wireless_enc on
      wlan_ng_key0 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
No other files were touched, I was under the impression this should be enough. Was I wrong?

Jesse Hein