Re: udev, autofs & module loading

Michael Graham wrote:
Does anyone use udev and autofs? If so how did you get it to work?

I have the following in /etc/auto.misc

cdrom    -fstype=iso9660,ro,sync,nodev,nosuid :/dev/hdc
udfcdrom -fstype=udf,ro,sync,nodev,nosuid     :/dev/hdc
floppy   -fstype=vfat,sync,nodev,nosuid       :/dev/fd0
usbpen   -fstype=vfat,sync,nodev,nosuid       :/dev/sda1

If I load the modules for say my cdrom (ide-cd) then

cd /mnt/cdrom

works as expected and the cdrom is mounted. But if the module hasn't
been loaded then this fails

bash: cd: /mnt/cdrom: No such file or directory

because the device /dev/hdc does not exist yet and neither hotplug nor
udev creates it.

Is there away around this without adding the modules to /etc/modules?

Hi Michael,

normally if you insert a CD a corresponding pci hotplug event should be generated and hotplug should load the right module. Check out the logfiles when inserting a CD.
On a side note:
Forget about autofs and install gnome-volume-manager. It does all what you want and a lot more. Despite its name it also works flawlessly under KDE and every other DE. Just try it. Check project utopia for more information about this.

Cheers,
Michael
E-Mail: biebl@teco.edu
WWW: http://www.teco.edu/

TecO (Telecooperation Office) Vincenz-Priessnitz-Str.1
University of Karlsruhe 76131 Karlsruhe, Germany