how can newbies find commands like "invoke-rc.d"

On Sat, Apr 17, 2004 at 04:13:54PM -0000, Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> On 2004-04-17, Will Trillich penned:
> > other distros have a nice hunk of syntactic sugar (so simple it could
> > be a shell function -- a separate script file seems like overkill)
> > called
> >
> > 	service <initscript> <start/stop/restart>
> >
> > which runs /etc/init.d/* scripts. how come woody doesn't have such a
> > thing by default? i'm wondering if there's a security issue that isn't
> > obvious to the neophyte...?
>
> what about invoke-rc.d ?

aha! perfect!

i've been using debian since 1997 or so, and until four minutes
ago (thank you) i never knew "invoke-rc.d" existed.

of course, most online documentation mentions "service" which is
probably a red-hat -ism, so i knew to look for that, at least.

how could i have discovered invoke-rc.d on my own, except by
stumbling into it by mistake?

	=================
	here's a question -- perhaps THE question -- is it possible
	to put in place some system that'll NOT ONLY point a newbie
	in the right direction, but have a high likelihood of BEING
	FOUND by such a newbie?

"help" shows common bash commands, instead of general "what are
	you trying to do?"

"man" requires that you already know the command you're after,
	and "man" isn't likely to be what a newbie would expect to
	issue in order to learn something

"apropos" often gives dozens of false positives, and for mostly
	a single-word term, and won't show up on a newbie's radar
	without lots of outside help

"info" has a steep learning curve for those accustomed to web
	browsers

command-completion (partial-word-then-TAB) helps show what's
	available, but only for initial-string matches (e.g. it's
	easy to find apache*-related commands but not *rc.d-related
	commands)

debian-user is (as are other mailing lists) a great resource,
	but can also send a newbie running for the hills when the
	questions aren't posed just so

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 3.0;
Linux boss 2.4.18-bf2.4 #1 Son Apr 14 09:53:28 CEST 2002 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #93 from Mike Werner <reznaeous@adelphia.net>
:
How do you get Mutt to GPG SIGN A MESSAGE BASED ON THE
RECIPIENT?  Depending on what address I send mail to, I have the
need to turn GPG signing on and off:
	send-hook .* 'set pgp_autosign=yes; set signature=~/.sigfile'
	send-hook listserv@mitvma.mit.edu 'set pgp_autosign=no; unset signature'
	send-hook majordomo@ 'set pgp_autosign=no; unset signature'
	send-hook suzuki-gs-twin@micapeak.com 'set pgp_autosign=no'
	send-hook camarilla 'set signature=~/.sigfile_cam'
The reason I have the first line there is because without it
after sending a message that matched (for example) one of the
server command addresses (second and third lines) then any
messages after that weren't being signed nor did they have sig
blocks.  So I put the first line in to match all messages.