Re: branding debian releases

> If the user wants/needs newer software than stable provides,
> the Debian system can accomodate that through the installation of
> backports or even /usr/local.

That's something i personally don't understand. I'm not sure if i get this
right but isn't the point of running stable on servers that the software
has been thoroughly tested and that the code is compiled against a stable
version of libc6?

So if you install backports, you introduce new releases of packages and
maybe libraries on your system which might contain serious bugs. Compiling
the source of some apps (to install to /usr/local) might even fail because
they need a newer libc6 or am i wrong in assuming this?
Also with backports or locally compiled source packages, wouldn't you have
to keep up with the security of the packages yourself? I mean checking if
a serious bug (securitywise) has been found against the package that you
have installed or compiled?

Anyway, on making backports: it seems backports should totally avoid
introducing a new libc6 and try to keep the number of new libs it needs to
have installed to a minimum. It might be a daunting task i guess for some
applications.

Regards,
Benedict