Re: woody -> sarge dist-upgrade woes

Incoming from Jerry Spicklemire:

> Is there any way to back up in time to
> a state where sarge is complete, and
> therefore upgradable, even if it is
> in a less than ideal state? I can always

I'd suggest you backup /etc and $HOME and re-install, using
woody/stable sources.list.  Then if you find something that's not
supporting your needs, install a backport of that.  Sarge will be
promoted to stable soon enough.

> dpkg is indeed a wonderful thing, when it works.

dpkg certainly is a wonderful thing, and a good carpenter doesn't
blame his tools.

>                 Thanks in advance for
> any straightforward hints, tips, etc.
> If it is a long, command-line driven,
> config file edit- ridden process, well,
> that's what I switched to Debian to get
> away from, after all.

Well, that was a mistake.  That's not what debian bills itself as
excelling at.  If, instead, you were looking to get away from
rpm-hell, conflicting or broken software and libraries, and
configuration nightmares, then Debian is a good choice; the best
choice, in fact.

> Jerry "stuck in woody-land" Spicklemire

You mean "stuck in user-error-limbo".  I'm in woody-land, and it works
great here.

- -