Re: Before going with debian questions.

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 09:26:53 -0700
Robin Lynn Frank <rlfrank@paradigm-omega.com> wrote:

> We've been using Mandrake Linux for a number of years and have come
> accross problems with the way its library packages are set up.  (We
> encounter problems compiling certain software because of this.)
>
> It was suggested to us that debian might be more to our liking.  Before
> biting the bullet, I have a couple of questions.
>
> 1) What are debian's strong and weak points as a server?
> 2) What are debian's strong and weak points as a desktop workstation?
> 3) Any caveats I should be aware of?
> 4) Any ease of installation/use problems?
>
> Any information is appreciated as I would have 50 boxes to switch over.

I don't have as much time as I wish I had to answer this right now,
and other people here would be better at answering parts of it (e.g.
server issues).  But you might wanna take a look at:

http://twiki.iwethey.org/Main/WhyDebianRocks

. . .which is a nice description of what is probably Debian's single
strongest feature.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)