Re: Can't use synaptic and other stuff as regular user

Sometime in April Markus Lindström assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| Hi there,
|
| I have another problem. I've installed KDE, and I've installed Synaptic.
| The problem that occurs is that I can only launch Synaptic if I've
| logged in as root, it doesn't work even if I've used 'su' in a Konsole
| session on my own account. It seems X can only generate the windows if
| I'm logged in as root.

are you sure you exported your display as root and xhosted the computer?

#as root:
export DISPLAY=localhost:0

#as a normal user:
xhost +localhost

also, have you tried sshing to the computer with xforwarding?

ssh -X localhost

you might have to change the line in /etc/ssh/sshd_config

#from:
X11Forwarding no

#to:
X11Forwarding yes

                                               | /"\
 john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
      jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail
           the most useful idiot               | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
 whether the mad destruction is brought under the name of totalitarianism or
 the holy name of liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E