Need secure kernel for stable/testing machine.

I'm running stable/testing (mostly testing), but would like to run a nice,
secure kernel!

The latest kernel security advisory shows the following security matrix:

    The following security matrix explains which kernel versions for which
    architecture are already fixed.  Kernel images in the unstable Debian
    distribution (sid) will be fixed soon.

    Architecture    stable (woody)     unstable (sid)    removed in sid
    source          2.4.18-14.3        2.4.25-3          --
    alpha           2.4.18-15          soon              --
    i386            2.4.18-13.1        soon              --
    i386bf          2.4.18-5woody8     soon              --
    powerpc         2.4.18-1woody5     2.4.25-8          2.4.22

The problem is that the woody kernels won't compile with my more recent
versions of gcc. Also I don't know where to get the sid sources (!). Is
it recommended/ok to run sid kernels, or are these truly 'unstable'?

Thanks for any advice. Please cc me off-list as I get the digest.

Thanks
Rory

--
Rory Campbell-Lange