Re: Really, I still don't have sound

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 09:05:16 -0500, Matt Price wrote:

>On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 11:01:43AM +0100, Andreas Janssen wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> Mark Healey (<deblist@healeyonline.com>) wrote:
>>
>> > I still haven't managed to get sound up and running.  It looks like
>> > everybody is stumped but I'm resubmitting the problem and including
>> > all that I gathered in the last attempt to get it working.
>> >
>> > I installed woody stable kernel 2.4.18-bf2.4
>> >
>> > When I boot knoppix it uses via82cxxx_audio and works.  I have that
>> > module installed so I added the line to my "via82cxxx_audio" to my
>> > /etc/modules.
>>
>> Maybe the kernel is too old and doesn't support your card properly. Try
>> to upgrade to a newer one, e.g. 2.4.25. You can get precompiled
>> packages from <http://www.backports.org>. Install the proper package
>> and configure your bootloader to use the initrd.
>
>the alsa modules for via82xx changed sometime around 0.9.1, I think.
>You most likely need to upgrade to the newest alsa-source using the
>various alsa packages, and roll the new kernel modules according to
>the instructions in /usr/share/doc/alsa-source.  It's slightly
>intimidating but pretty easy if you follow the instructions.

I did "apt-cache search alsa-source" and got

alsa-source
alsa-source-0.4
alsa-source-0.5

Which is the latest, the one with no version number or 0.5

Please leave this.  It is a filter term.
ferulebezel
Mark Healey
deblist@healeyonline.com
Don't bothor CCing or emailing this address.  Since spammers seem to be harvesting this
list anything that doesn't come from the list server is assumed to be spam and deleted.
ASUS A87V8X mobo w AMD Athalon
	Broadcom 4401 onboard nic
	with static IP Address
ATI All-In-Wonder 9700 Video card.