Re: chkrootkit gives this message, should I be worried?

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 14:48:52 -0400
"H. S." <greatexcalibur@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am running Debian Sarge (kernel 2.4.24-1-686). I ran chkrootkit (v
> 0.42b) and got this message (along with all other "nothing found"
> messages):
>
> Searching for suspicious files and dirs, it may take a while...
> /usr/lib/plt/collects/readline/.DS_Store
>
> What does this mean? Should I be worried?

chkrootkit doesn't like hidden files in /usr/lib; it complains
about them even if they're supposed to be there and have normal
contents.

So the questions you have to answer are:  does this file belong
here; and does it have in it what it's supposed to have?

Judicious use of apt-file or the contents of /var/lib/dpkg/info
may help you with the first question; comparing the content of
the file with an original from the installed .deb can help you
with the latter.

Also, README.Debian from the chkrootkit docs contains a list of
similar hidden files that have raised flags in the past.  If this
file is OK, and it's from a Debian package, but you don't see it
in README.Debian, you may wish to file a wishlist bug against
chkrootkit, asking the maintainer to add it to the false positives
list.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)