HELP! apt-get errors with rspfd - unable to install/uninstall

I'm re-sending this message again since I did not get any reply twice and
am really stuck up with apt-get and dpkg unable to do anything with rspfd.
Hope someone helps this time

I have tried and tried everything I could or is possible to remove this
"rspfd" ghost from my system but neither does it get uninstalled, nor does
it properly get installed, and also it doesn't let apt install any new
packages till it's out of the way which seems not possible right now ...
been trying since weeks and have also posted here twice without any help.
Hope somone would be kind enough to help this time atleast.

Well, a few weeks ago, I installed quite a few hamradio apps with
apt-get ... didn't know what rspf meant or did but installed it
thinking I could remove the ones later which I did not need. Along
others, one rspfd got installed ... and setting up the packages, rspf
daemon got started but it wouldn't really start, the terminal got
locked up saying "Starting RSPF Daemon ..." I had to kill it as well as
the tty.

Well, at next reboot, it tried to start at boot and I wouldn't get the
login prompt whatever I did. I tried booting in to differnt kernels and
in to single user mode but still the same thing. I had an old 2.2 kernel
which accidentally did not have the modules directory (I had removed it
for some reason). I was able to somehow boot in to single user mode
using this kernel and pressing Ctrl-C when init would start. I
remounted / as read-write and then removed the rspfd script from
/etc/init.d and rebooted. Got back the login prompt.

At next reboot, same thing happened, "Starting RSPF Daemon" Now where
from did this daemon come when I had removed the script from /etc/init.d
? Anyway, I again booted single user with the 2.2 kernel and removed the
script. Then once logged in, I tried to remove rspfd with apt-get, tried
to purge it with apt-get and dpkg but none would seem to work. I don't
remember the error right now but all three ways wouldn't work that time.
And deleting the init script, it would start again at next reboot so
there was *no* way I could uninstall this nasty daemon! The only way
left was to delete each of the files installed by rspfd. So I listed
what files were installed with dpkg -L and deleted each of them manally.
Cool, atleast I did not have this rspfd trouble after rebooting and was
able to login.

But now, whenever I ran apt-get to install or remove any package, I got
a pageful of errors regarding rspfd asking me to install it but then
unable to install it, gave the errors. As I said, every possible way of
trying to install or remove it failed, even purging failed.

Not only do I get a pageful of errors from apt-get trying to install
rspfd all the time, many of the packages I upgrade or install, do not
get installed - they get unpacked but do not get installed. Installing
some others, apt-get doesnt even unpack them, it gives the rspfd error
and exits. and then running apt-get a second time insttalls the package
I wanted. Wierd and frustrating!

Can someone tell me how do I get this *demon* of a thing out of my
system? When trying to remove it, apt says I should install it before
removing but it's not able to install it either.

The last thing I tried just now was using midnight commander, I
extracted the rspfd deb and copied the files manually in to the
respective directories but still nothing works.

Anyway, here's the output of the apt-get and dpkg commands:

geek@linux:~$ sudo apt-get install netrik
Password:

Reading Package Lists... 0%

Reading Package Lists... Done

Building Dependency Tree... 0%

Building Dependency Tree... Done

Sorry, netrik is already the newest version.
  rspfd
1 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1111
not upgraded.
19 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/30.9kB of archives. After unpacking 8192B will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y

Reading changelogs... 100%
Reading changelogs... Done
(Reading database... 117330 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace rspfd 1.0-2 (using
.../archives/rspfd_1.1-1_i386.deb) ...
Stopping RSPF Routing Daemon: dpkg: warning - old pre-removal script
returned error exit status 1
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/rspfd_1.1-1_i386.deb (--unpack):

 there is no script in the new version of the package - giving up
Starting RSPF Routing Daemon: /var/lib/dpkg/info/rspfd.postinst:
line 11: 15035
 Killed                  /etc/init.d/rspfd start
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 137
 /var/cache/apt/archives/rspfd_1.1-1_i386.deb
geek@linux:~$
geek@linux:~$
geek@linux:~$ sudo apt-get remove --purge rspfd

Reading Package Lists... 0%

Reading Package Lists... Done

Building Dependency Tree... 0%

Building Dependency Tree... Done

The following packages will be REMOVED:
  rspfd*

0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 1111
not upgraded.
19 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 81.9kB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y

Reading changelogs... Done
dpkg: error processing rspfd (--purge):
 Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
 reinstall it before attempting a removal.
 rspfd
geek@linux:~$
geek@linux:~$ sudo apt-get remove --purge rspfd
geek@linux:~$ [Kdpkg -P rspfd
dpkg: requested operation requires superuser privilege
geek@linux:~$ dpkg -P rspfd
dpkg: error processing rspfd (--purge):
 Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
 reinstall it before attempting a removal.
 rspfd

geek@linux:~$
geek@linux:~$
geek@linux:~$
geek@linux:~$ dpkg -L rspfd|less
/usr
/usr/bin
/usr/sbin
/usr/sbin/rspfd
/usr/sbin/rspfd-configure
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/rspfd
/usr/share/doc/rspfd/INSTALL
/usr/share/doc/rspfd/NEWS
/usr/share/doc/rspfd/README
/usr/share/doc/rspfd/copyright
/usr/share/doc/rspfd/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/rspfd/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/man
/usr/share/man/man8
/usr/share/man/man8/rspfd.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man5
/usr/share/man/man5/rspfd.conf.5.gz
/etc
/etc/init.d
/etc/init.d/rspfd
/usr/share/man/man8/rspfd-configure.8.gz
geek@linux:~$ ls -ld /etc/init.d/rspfd
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         1588 Dec 21  1999
/etc/init.d/rspfd

BTW, I have sent quite many posts to linux.debian.user thru nntp but none
of my posts appear on that NG, why is that? It's been days now ... what is
it that I need to be able to post there? I have tried with many email IDs
but none of the post appeared. Wierd and frustrating! I wonder what is
wrong!