samba mounting and nautilus

Hi,

I'm running Debian unstable. When I issue the following command:

##   mount -t smbfs -o username=foo,password=bar //MATT/public /mnt/laptop

I get the generic error message from mount (wrong fstype, bad superblock etc.) The equivalent line in /etc/fstab also gets me nowhere.

AFAICT, this should work since
##   smbclient //MATT/public
works perfectly, prompting me for a password. I've also tried different orderings of the mount syntax.

On a (possibly) related issue, does anyone know why browsing smb:// in nautilus doesn't work, and if it will be fixed in 2.6?

Many thanks,
Matt Kay
Cambridge, UK