Re: CUPS client-server configuration

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 06:21:32PM +0800, Robert Storey wrote:
} I'm trying to use CUPS to print in a client-server setup.
}
} There is no problem at all getting the server computer to print - printing
} from the client is proving problematic, yet it ALMOST works. I can print a
} test page from the client machine, but when I try to just print a regular
} page from the client machine, nothing happens.
}
[...]
} On the server, I made two changes to file /etc/cups/cupsd.conf as follows:
}
}   # broadcast address
}   BrowseAddress 192.168.255.255

This doesn't much matter, since it sounds like the client is already
aware of the printer(s) on the server.

}   <Location />
}   Allow From 192.168.0.3
}
} Then I restarted the daemon.

This is important, but you should also make sure that /printers has the
same allow.

} Now I go to the client machine, 192.168.0.3, open Mozilla, type
} http://localhost:631, and click the button "Print test page" - it works!
} So no problem, right? Wrong. When I open a regular html file and try to
} print, nothing happens.

What almost certainly did happen is that some message or messages got
written to /var/log/cups/*.log on either the client or the server or
both. You should examine the logs and see what you can learn from them.

} One last thing I tried - on the client machine, I go to file
} /etc/cups/client.conf and add this line:
}
} ServerName 192.168.0.2

Shouldn't be necessary. If the printer has been found by the client,
this won't be useful.

} I restart the CUPS daemon - no change, still cannot print from the client.
} Any suggestions would be welcome.
}
} best regards,
} Robert