Re: booting with same destop / app setup different video and network cards

On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 12:23, Robert Fernando -ntlworld wrote:
 > Hi all, Is it possible to configure linux to either auto detect a
 > change in Ethernet and video card or allow manual selection of the
 > correct drivers at boot time.  I.e. so that one hardisk can be shared
 > between two pc with different hardware.
 >
 > Can the x Windows system be setup to use Intel Agp 470 video card in
 > one config and a Diamond Stealth 2500 in a another pc/ configuration
 > ?

 You might run a script from init which check the output from lspci, and
 adjust your config files accrodingly. Something like:

 if [ lspci | grep -q 'VGA.*Diamond' ] ; then
    cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.diamond /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
 else
    cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.intel /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
 fi

 and something similar with the ethernet. The ethernet I guess can be
 handled with proper use of modules, though.

--
[simula.research laboratory]
                 Åsmund Ødegård