Sound no longer working

I posted earlier about network and sound dying apparently after an
apt-get upgrade.  I've got network back, and sound works as long as I'm
root.  It still does not work again as a normal user though.

As the sound driver module was removed with my prior fiasco, I used
modconf to load i810_audio drive (I have an nforce2), and sound works in
root.  Logging in as a non-root user though, which is a part of the
audio group, there is no sound.  I checked permissions on /dev/dsp, and
it seems to be correct (root/audio).  I tried the nvaudio driver w/ same
results.

I did notice that in xmms it was setup prior to use OSS as the driver,
which no longer works at all.  To use xmms, and this only works in root,
I have to set it to use esound.

This sounds like an obvious permission issue, but aside from checking
/dev/dsp, don't know where to look.

I just installed alsa-base and alsa-oss, but neither seems to make a
difference.

Any thoughts/pointers/ideas would be appreciated,

Thanks, Paul