Re: Verry disapointing

I'm using testing, and yesterday did an apt-get update then upgrade, and
subsequently lost both sound, network, and boot options.  I've fixed gdm
and gotten the network back, and sound is working kind of - though not
like before.

Upgrading GDM caused the login problem for me, but I wish I knew what
package(s) I 'upgraded' that caused the network and sound to tank, but I
don't.

On logging into KDE as an option;  are you using GDM?  A recent upgrade
changed the location of the Session files, or login options, from
/etc/gdm/Sesssions to /etc/dm/Sessions.  The files that go there are a
different format, from what I can tell, as well.

For gnome, which I use, the contents of the file (gnome.desktop) are:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Gnome
Comment=Log into Gnome
Exec=/usr/bin/gnome-session
Icon=
Type=Application

I'm sure it's similiar for KDE, obviously the Exec line will have to
change though.

As to the network and Sound, both of those were loaded as kernel modules
by my system in the past, and for some reason the recent apt-get upgrade
removed them from the list.  lsmod will tell you what you have currently

Knowing what hardware you have will help here, if you don't already.  To
get a clue myself I booted a knoppix cd I had lying here, and ran lsmod
on it to see what it was loading for sound.

HTH, Paul