reportbug locale complaints

Recently, I've been getting warnings about my locale when I start
reportbug:
*** Warning: unsupported locale setting
[the preceding appears at the very top.  Somewhat later I see..]
*** The following debconf settings were detected:
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
        LANGUAGE = (unset),
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory

I think these started appearing when I upgraded to XFree86 4.3, which
was also coincident with reportbug starting to use uxterm (I think it
was using xterm before, though perhaps it's just a labelling change).

My guess is I need to tweak some of my settings, but I don't really
understand this.  Can anyone clue me in?

By the way, I'm running under KDE 3.1.5 with reportbug 2.56.

Thanks.