qmail - SMTP AUTH

I downloaded the qmail-src package from unstable and want to know how to get SMTP AUTH and TLS to work.

The patches available on the internet don't patch cleanly to the debian provided source. After a little investigation I found 3 files in the /patches/ldap-patches/ directory that are named:
004a_smtp-auth-20020501a
004a_smtp-auth-20020501a.Makefile.patch
004a_smtp-auth-20020501a.qmail-smtpd.c.patch

Upon inspection these looks like the same code from http://members.elysium.pl/brush/qmail-smtpd-auth/

After running build-qmail I get a message saying that all the patches in the /patches/ directory have been applied already however it goes on to list them and skips over everything in the ldap-patches folder.

So my question is: Have the all the /patches/ldap-patches/ already been applied? If not, how do I apply them and configure the resulting SMTP AUTH options? And will the qmail TLS patch at http://inoa.net/qmail-tls/ still work?

My goal is to use nothing but qmail and the included pop3 daemon to serve up mail to roaming users while still allowing them to send; an ISP-like setup. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Dan