apt-get upgrade == no eth0/sound for nforce2

I installed debian testing in mid febuary, and everything was working
fine.  The onboard ethernet and sound for my nforce2 board (shuttle xpc)
were detected, and worked.

Yesterday though I ran 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get upgrade', and after
booting the computer later that evening, was left without sound or network.

I do recall that gdm, cdrecord, and gftp were some of the packages
upgraded, though wouldn't think they'd have any bearing on the above.  I
tried to find a way to determine what else was changed, but am stumped -
maybe someone else knows.  This machine is a dualboot, and these devices
still work inside of windows (which i'm posting from).

Comparing an older bootlog to the current one, it seems that the
forcedeth and audio driver loadings aren't even attempted.  Line for
line they are identical, except where the ethernet or audio should be
loaded, there is nothing - not even an error.

Everything else appears to be normal.  USB is working, as is the
graphics card (compiled nvidia, add-in card, not built in).

I'm running kernel 2.4.24

I'd appreciate any help or pointers,

Thanks, Paul