beep story

Hi Debian!

I just noticed the beep package. It makes your PC speaker beep with frequency and duration as variables.

Is there a way to find out how long a Debian package has been around?

I fiddled with this years ago and ended up with a beeper that could do just that: the idea copied from a window$ program.

Until... Backstreet Ruby disabled the speaker because of the way the kernel packages it: the former changes the way keyboards are read by the kernel, so no more speaker.

So... I wrote a NAS beeper, that does the very same thing but uses the Netword Audio System for sound. Which has a peculiar problem that it queues sounds. So if one cannot be played for some reason, none thereafter get played either and the program calling NAS waits. So I had to invent processes that would wait instead and not the program that wanted a beep...

Result: yet another working beep. I have a NAS version of vcstime that does marine chimes and warns when the ISP connection got killed.

I liked the speaker version better, but you can't have everything...

Hugo